17 August 2009

Transitioning Into Grown-Updom: Cooking

For about half of my college career (the second half--I did things backwards) I lived with my parents. My mother, being the mommy type mother that she is, would always cook dinner for us, pick something up for us, or take us out to eat. If not, she would prepare everything and then have us stick something in the oven. Now that I am on my own, I am finding that eating out all the time is not only fiscally irresponsible, but just plain bad for me. This brings me into my first big transition into grown-updom: cooking for myself.

How does a girl who never cooked start cooking for herself? Google . After typing "recipes" into Google, I found a wonderful website: allrecipes.com. You can type in ingredients (cilantro everything!) and find super easy recipes. My favorite, right now, is this spicy chicken recipe. [To my beef's dismay] I have started putting the spice mix on everything. The chicken is excellent in salads (and if you know me, you know I hate salad). Fabulous.

Being unemployed is apparently excellent for my coo
king skills. I sit around and cook all day. I even had a dinner party one night. Look at me! Last night, I even invented a recipe. I was kind of excited. It reminded me of the movie Waitress and how she always invented pies (mostly 'cause I insisted on using the word "invented"). Anyway, I will share my hamburger recipe with you. It was spicy (like me?), so beware.

Spicy LG Burger:
-1 lb ground turkey (I use turkey, because the only beef in my life is Christopher)
-1/2 red bell pepper
-1/2 onion
-1/2 tbsp chili powder
-1/2 tbsp cayenne pepper
-1 tbsp paprika
-1/2 cup fresh cilantro

Directions:
1. Mix it all together.
2. Form into patties (5 medium or 4 large)
.
3. Broil for 16-18 minutes.

Easy Peasy. They taste great with ranch dressing instead of ketchup and mustard. We used a jalapeno ranch dressing (Safeway brand), and I thought they were yummy. 

The best part about learning to cook is that a few ingredients will cost a lot and last forever; an initial investment, if you will. Those initial investments, of course, are your spices. It may seem ridiculous to spend $5 on such a little jar, but with $15 worth of spices you can have way more tacos than with $15 worth of Taco Bell tacos. Also, if you're trying to go low fat, ground turkey is about equal to ground beef with much le
ss fat. If you are a one or two person household who seems to have veggies go bad all the time--plan out your menu OR go to the store day of. Going to the store day of has saved me the usual $5 of veggies I let spoil a week. 

This has been my first post about truly trying to become an adult. I've got a few other ideas pending to let you know what I'm up to (and hopeful
ly help someone else who is trying to do the same thing). I love you all!!!


3 comments:

  1. Cooking can be fun and you feel so good about yourself when you're done. Since you like chicken I have a really easy recipe for you.

    They are called Chicken Pillows.

    Ingredients: Chicken, cream cheese, crescent rolls, cream of chicken.

    Unfortunately, I don't have exact measurements because I just kind of wing it, but here's how to make it in a nut shell.

    - Pre-heat the oven to the desiganted temperature on the crescent rolls.
    - boil chicken with salt (so it doesn't loose it's flavor) until the chicken is cooked all the way through. Then drain and shred the chicken in a medium sized bowl. Approximately 2 chicken breasts should be enough to fill up one batch of store bought crescent rolls.
    - Mix about 3/4 of a cup of cream cheese into the shredded chicken.
    - Spread out the dough for the crescent rolls (don't roll them up yet) and stick a heaping spoonful of the chicken mixture on the biggest part of the dough then roll up.
    - Stick in the oven and cook some minute ready rice and heat up a can of cream of chicken soup.
    - Put one or two chicken pillows on rice and smother it with cream of chicken and enjoy!

    This is a very fast & easy meal. Sometimes I have steamed vegetables with it. Everyone I've ever made this for loves it! Hopefully, you will too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay Laura! Two Things:
    1.) In your free time (yah I know Transitioning Into Grown-Updom doesnt always include this) you should skim The Julie Julia project book. She sort of laments similar experiences. I say skim because I didn't love the book but I enjoyed many of the insights. For instance she calls her blog readers "bleaders." Thought it was funny.
    2.) Check out nomoretakeout.com I found it through one of WithThisRing's blogs. It will email you a grocery list and help with step by step instructions to get a quick healthy meal on the table ASAP after work. Great for Grownup-dumb.

    ReplyDelete